Wednesday, June 25, 2008

VEGAS BABY!

Yeah, that's where we are.

We arrived into the valley about 7:30 local time on Sunday, clear, bright, beautiful. You could see the whole valley as we came in from Boulder City. We went straight to Princesses parents, dropped off the girls, and headed over to Hospice (it was93 degrees).

When we arrived, Dad and Bert left Princess and I alone for a while. We spoke to Mom, held her hand, kissed her forehead and cheeks, telling her of our love for her, and that when the veil parted and she could see her Momma, Daddy, Sisters, and her baby girl Audrey, she was to leave. I told her how proud I was of her as a Mother, her examples, her strength, her Christlike love to me, to our family, and to others she came into contact with. We wept. Princess moved to her side, and whispered in her ear. I couldn't hear (too old I guess), but she wet Mom's cheek with her tears.

We spent all day at the Hospice on Monday. Monday evening we went to Rich's house and visited a while, seeing their son Richie. Tuesday, we went to the mortuary. This was hard. Mom had planned her funeral program, but neither of them had planned for the process. As a family we selected the casket, the burial plots, and filled out pertinent information. Princess stayed with Mom during this whole time.

I came back while Dad ran some errands - sent Princess out on her own for a while to escape the Hospice room. I stayed with Mom, held her hand and sang Hymns and favorite Primary songs to her. I believe she liked it. It was a good day.

Today is Wednesday - we are at the in-law's, Mom is still holding on. Yesterday the Doctor said that some people can go for a week or longer without food and water. They are keeping her pain level down by monitoring her vitals and her facial expressions (really her forehead). Bert has been a trouper, staying every night with Dad. I think tonight, I will spell him, it's his 15th wedding anniversary.

Thanks dear friends for your wonderful thoughts and prayers. Both Princess and I greatly appreciate them and your friendship.
Jim

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Jim and Mel, I've been thinking of you since our phone call on Saturday. I can't be there in person to offer moral support but all my love and prayers are there in the spirit of Christ. The Lord will watch over all of you closely during this time of transition. Love y'all!!!

Anonymous said...

Jim & Melanie.... your in my thoughts and prayers ... xoxo bj

Kari said...

We love you.