Sunday, May 09, 2010

To Mothers

On this day, the second Sunday in May, officially designated by the U.S. Government, set aside to honor our Mother's, I wish all Mother's everywhere a Happy Mother's Day!

How quirky is that?!

We owe everything that we were, are and to be in this lifetime, to our Mothers and they should be celebrated and honored every day of our lives.

In my life, I have the following to be thankful for:

My beautiful wife. Although denied Motherhood through her own body, she has positively affected and influenced the lives of countless children through her service to them at Church and in her daily life. She is the most beautiful of women, virtuous, honest, righteous, and the most Christ-like person I have ever met. She is intelligent, musically talented, crafty in the good way, and the best cook I have ever met (trust me, my waistline and multiple chins show it). She is "Aunt" to many, many children that we have come to know and love. She has served surrogate Motherhood to many missionary that has crossed our threshold. She is a precious gem, and one that I am privileged to know, love, and cherish. Yes, I am the luckiest of all men.

My Mother-in-law. If there were a merit badge in Heaven for super women, she would hold one. Over the last twenty plus years, she has stepped in and been Mother to me with advice, counsel, and love, such that usually comes from your own Mother. How grateful I am to have been blessed by her presence. She is all that is manifested in her daughter and more. She was born of modest means in Emery, Utah. She learned hard work at an early age, caring for the housework and some outside chores. When she was a mere 16 years, she moved with her family to Murray, Utah, just south of SLC. There she finished high school went to BYU, where she met the man of her dreams and they were married. They were blessed with two daughters and have been subsequently blessed with 4 grandsons, 4 granddaughters, and now one great-grandson. She is a pillar of faith, walking in harmony with the teachings of our Savior. I am lucky to have and to hear her counsel. She is another precious gem.

My Mother. It has been nearly two years since you were called from this earthly life, to allow your body, ravaged by disease a time to rest. There isn't a day go by that I don't think of you, long for your embrace, the soft stroking of your hand against my face, and the warmth of your breath. You were in my lifetime the most wonderful of women, cherished, loving, nurturing, giving and giving. You taught me the example of charity, both physical and emotional. You raised six children in modest and sometimes meager means, but through it all, you turned scraps of wood and material into doll furniture to sale, or into craft projects that became cherished gifts. Your talent for sewing, cooking, baking, and craft making are legendary still within our family and community. Your love and faith in Christ was evident throughout your life. You instilled service to your children, and loved and prayed for them that strayed. Mom, I am honored to be your son. I am privileged to know your example and to work to put it into my life.

My sisters and sisters-in-law. How blessed I am to be surrounded by such greatness. Two sisters, and four sisters-in-law that bless my life, and the lives of our entire family. What great women you are, in service to your children, jobs, communities and Church. How lucky are we, the men who have been graced by your abilities, love, compassion and examples.

So again, on this "official" day, may I echo the throngs of husbands and children as they greet you and say, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

J

1 comment:

Kim and DeAnn said...

Very nice, Jim. You "get it" and that makes you a blessing to all those women!!