Wednesday, December 06, 2006

New Zealand Trip Recap

So the past 11 days have gone very quickly. No time to get homesick for Princess or the girls cause work was so demanding.
I havenÂ’t had much time to blog, with the travel and spotty Internet connections. So I have resorted to using Word to record my travels and then be able to post them to the blog. I have posted once whiletravelingg, and I hope you will let me re-cap in this post.
Arriving in New Zealand (henceforth Nzed) as they call their country. Very green country from the plane. Anyhow, I digress, I went through customs and Immigration without a problem, took my two suitcases and comp bag, jumped on a bus and went to the domestic terminal, where my two bags were over weight by 1 kilo and I had to pay $20 NZ dollars to check them. I went through security, and waited to board my plane to Christchurch, on the southern island.
In Christchuch, I met up with my NZED contact and my Aussie counterpart. We then flew to Invercargill where it was coldÂ…about 6 degrees C. We got right down to auditing and finished the day at 5:00 PM. We checked into our hotel (the old post office turned into long term apartments). It is a beautiful old building with lots of charm and character. Tuesday back to auditing, finished, then fly to Christchurch again and drive to our destination. We did the meet and greet, set the audit schedule, and drove to our little town about 20K from the plant. We had a great meal and great views of the ocean from our hotel room.
All day Wednesday we audited our facility, ending about 6:00PM. Thursday, we finished up the audit, drove back to Christchurch and flew to Auckland. We went to dinner at DINE, a divinely inspired restaurant that had delicious food. I was ordering the duck (first time) and the waiter suggested the NZED beef. I changed, and was greeted with a beautiful portion of meat on beetroot green and beets (first time also).
Friday morning we flew to Whangarei (Fongarei is how it is pronounced in Maori) to audit. Beautiful portion of the Northern island. We audited, ate a delightful lunch (as you can see, food is very important to my two chins and me), finished the audit and I flew to Auckland so that I could fly to Sydney.
It was a whirlwind trip in NZED, but a wonderful lifelong dream fulfilled by work.

No comments: