Sunday, August 10, 2008

Friendly Skies 2

I'm home now.  Got here yesterday, leave tomorrow!  Ahhhh!  The life of an executive - NOT!  

So, Princess picked me up from the airport around 7:00 PM yesterday, we went to HEB, then to Taco Bueno (delicious dinner - she slaved all day to make), then home to do laundry, get caught up - you know the drill.

OK, I arrived at Newark, with my three bags in hand, the one I gate checked (thank goodness, the underclothes and toiletries travelled with me), my backpack - never ever check this, and my trusty Duffel.  While selecting my seat, the computer prompted me asking if I would like to give up my seat for a later flight home for $300.  Of course, I said no.  Then I realized that the flights would be super booked, and saw this when I chose my seat.  After my previous experience checking a bag, you would think I would not trust them for any of my baggage, but I threw caution to the wind, checked BOTH my bags (with a promise from the agent that they would both arrive) and proceeded to security.

At security, the barely English speaking man, looked at my ID, looked at my boarding pass and announced "You are elite, that line over there".  I looked over my shoulder to see a long line, and looked back to see a short line.  I said "That's OK, I'll just go here", to which he promptly said "No".   I told him I didn't mind, and he told me no again.  So being top tier elite with my airline translated into "go stand in long line", to which I did.

Long story short, I was upgraded to first class, had a lovely cold plate with cheese, fruit, cold cuts, and crackers.   Arriving in Waco, greeted by Princess with a huge hug and kisses (I know, a little too much info), we proceeded to the great big baggage carousel.  I told her I was hosed if my bags didn't come, not enough clean underclothes for the coming week (I KNOW, TMI).  Any hoo, my bags, yes both of them, were second and third off the carousel!!  Yeah!  My faith in air travel is restored!

Again dear readers, when you have lost luggage, don't get mad, don't scream, rant, rave, yell, etc., ask for CASH for new clothes!!!  It'll make you and everybody else feel better.

Jim

No comments: