Saturday, July 12, 2008

Tribute

Mom's service was beautiful.  Probably the longest funeral service I've sat through in my whole life, but it was a beautiful tribute to a loving Mother, Sister, Wife, Aunt, and Grandmother.

Dad had all of us kids line up by age in the Relief Society room to greet and thank all the people that came to pay their respects.  Aunt Aurella was next to Mom, fitting for sisters to be next to each other.  Think of it as a receiving line (like for a wedding), so that we could personally thank everyone.  We were warned not to cry, he said "No tears in this line, no matter what.  Your Mom is at peace, we are happy for her and I want you kids to emulate that and to show that Joy on your face".  It was hard, and we would tell people that came through crying, "no tears, she is in peace, be happy for her".

My Uncle Gary gave the family prayer, then we said our goodbyes to Mom.  Rich and Dawn and their son Richie, Christy and her son Kyle, Bert and Alisa, Russell, and Princess and I, all left to sing a prelude as Mom was brought into the Chapel.  We sang "I Know that My Redeemer Lives", one of Mom's favorite Hymns.  Aunt Aurella gave the invocation.  My younger cousin Eric Price, Bishop of his Ward, conducted the service.  

Christina gave the Eulogy, and did a superb job.  Then Russell spoke.  My how my littlest brother has grown and matured into a fine man.  The grand kids then sang "Families can be Together Forever" with dry eyes, and with smiles.  They did a good job.  Bert spoke next.  He reminds me of Dad.  The way he speaks, his hand motions, even his facial movements, all scream Dad.  I spoke next, a few tears, told everyone in the Congregation that I was no longer "Jimmy", but had graduated to Jim and they should respect that.  Us kids again sang, this time "How Great Thou Art".  Then Dad's Bishop from Hurricane spoke, then Eric concluded.  Rich said the closing prayer, the Congregation sang "God Be With You 'Till We Meet Again".  All in all about an hour forty minutes long.

We had a great visit with family at the luncheon, then we helped the Relief Society clean up the Cultural Hall, and headed to Christina's to change, then it was home for a nap.

My days are good, peppered with some tear time, when I let the emotions get a hold of me, and then I remember Mom's last conversation with me "Stop Crying.  Don't cry for me".  Well Mom, I'm crying for me, cause I am selfish and I miss you.

Dad is doing good, we spoke for about 30 minutes today.  I am grateful he took the time to develop in me a friendship when I was an awkward 14 year old going through the awful emotional stress of teenage strife.

For you dear readers, I thank you.  For your friendship, for your love, and for your prayers.  Both Princess and I are blessed to have you in our lives.

Jim

3 comments:

Eric and Cindy Hansen said...

We love you two!

Leah said...

That was sweet. And sometimes we do need to cry for our own reasons. And that my friend is perfectly okay!

My dad graduated from Charlie to Chuck but his family still calls him Charlie. Way to let everyone know. ;)

I'm glad all went well and that you are back here safe.
Love you guys.

Kari said...

What a beautiful service! I'm sure it was everything your mother wanted. Love ya!