Saturday, October 11, 2008

Through It

To clarify from my earlier post, I was born on October 10, 1964.  My Mom had a habit of getting my birthday a little off.

Last night, Princess and I used our gift certificate from Lynn to eat at "The Range" in Salado.  It was a fabulous meal.  I had pork loin roast with corn pudding and baby carrots, while Princess had Surf and Turf with Mashers and asparagus.  I had a wonderful Caesar salad while Princess had the cream of Broccoli & Asparagus soup.  I had a Valhrona molten chocolate cake with homemade roasted banana ice cream and Princess had creme brulee with biscottis.  We had a great time eating and talking, spending some alone time together.

This week has been full of dinner dates.  On Wednesday, Princess ate with the Martinsen's at Shogun (Shotgun for Molly).  On Thursday, we had the OG with the Blackhurst's and then B&R ice cream cake at our house after, and tonight, we had Margarita chicken, salad, mixed fruit, Spanish rice, and some more of the B&R ice cream cake with the Mock's and the Lackmeyers.  We are truly blessed to have such wonderful friends in our lives.  Makes Texas feel so much more like home.

The well wishing came from home also, birthday cards, phone messages, and text messages.  It was great to feel the love.

I thought this would be harder for me.  Princess wept at dinner last night, she's been worried that I would get all depressed as this would be my first birthday without Mom.  I didn't, and I'm not depressed.  I think our friends and family sensed this, or were inspired to really go the extra mile with the effort.  For this I will be eternally grateful, just like I am for a wife who was so worried, she cried at dinner.

Thank you all for the wonderful messages of Happy Birthday - and no, I will not be dishing out shin kicks tomorrow.  :-)

Jim

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy to hear that you both had a great birthday week :) You are definately both loved!

xo bj

Christina Price said...

Jim,
You are truly blessed to have a woman who loves you soo much that she would cry over your feelings of loss. Melanie, has a truly wonderful husband as well. I'm sitting here sniveling over your blog (which I do most of the time when I read it). I'm so blessed to have a wonderful brother and sister!! I love you both! I know what this year has been like for all of us. Be Happy! As Elder Holland talked about in GC, there are Angels among us. Love you Guys!!

Leah said...

I am so happy you had such a great Birthday. Both of you. It sounds wonderful...and delicious! ;)

Marsha Rose said...

Happy Birthday to both of you. You know how bad I am about birthdays--probably because I hate mine so much!
But my real comment is...Jim, OJ is finally guilty! This is Nevada justice! If they couldn't get it done right the first time, we made sure we took care of it. Hang em high!