Sunday, April 22, 2007

A Day of Rest

I am so glad today is Sunday. I had a very long week this week. The trip for work to Guatemala was excellent. I will be finishing the reports as I travel to New Jersey tomorrow for some meetings. I don't know if I mentioned this earlier (if I did, chock it up to old age and Alzheimer's), anyway, we stayed in the City of Antigua in Guatemala, just one night. We stayed at this old (like almost 200 years old) convent that had been rescued and turned into a hotel/resort like location. The walls were super thick rock/bricks and that kept the temperature pretty stable.

When I got to my room, passing about 100 thousand centuries old statues of saints (one our hosts said the place gave her the spooks), I entered my room which was "warm" and set about to find the air conditioner...WHAT, no a/c?! I then looked up, and no ceiling fan! I about died. I opened the french doors to the patio (did I mention a common patio that all the other guest could just walk right up to the french doors of my room?) for some fresh air. When we left for dinner, I found that the doors had these metal things hanging on them by two of the panes of glass. I picked one up and could push it through this little hole and lift the pane of glass to an angle and get fresh air. So I did, and when I got back to my room (at 11:00 PM - those Latins take way too long for dinner), my room was re-freshed and the temperature had dropped about 5 degrees. I slept with those windows open and at some time during the night, I actually pulled the blanket onto me as I slept.

Anyhow, each day was up at 5:00 AM, and to bed at 11:00 PM. It just about killed me. So I am glad that today, I got to sleep in until 7:30, came and finished preparing my Primary lesson for Church, and now have caught all of you up on my whining.

Okay, switching topics, Princess and I have been doing more gardening here in the last two months than the entire time we have lived here in Texas. We have the front bed cut out of the grass (waiting for the landscaping guys to come and prepare the bed, then plant the bed with bushes, crepe myrtles, and two trees out front. We have bought shade plants for the bed under our bathroom window, and we some sun loving plants for the side by the garage. (side note, Princess did do all of the planting of the shade bed and garage bed, I just did my normal, edge mow, blow down the patios thing...not wanting to take credit away from her hard work.)

Our next big feat will be to remove all the Christmas light screws from the fascia boards, fill in the holes and paint the trim. Boy, I'm looking forward to that! NOT!!! But it has to be done, so it is our/my task.

Here it the Sabbath, the day of rest, and I am thinking about my honey-do list...as Jenna would say "Jim, you're crazy!" And today I would say to her "You're right, I am crazy!"

Jim

2 comments:

J & M Shumate Family said...

Jim, how do you travel so much and still take time to even think about the yard! Have fun in Jersey! Mexico sounded way too cool! What an exciting life you have!!!

Todd said...

Thanks for the reminder to update our blog. We have several pictures posted for you to see from the last couple of events you had missed.