Friday, January 09, 2009

Progress

I spent this past week in Beaumont, TX for work. For those of you unfamiliar with Beaumont, it is a city right in the heart of Hurricane alley. They got hit with Katrina. They got slammed with Rita. Now three years later they get hit by Ike. Those little towns around Beaumont and Beaumont itself just can't catch a break. I wasn't there for rebuilding purposes, but for work, inspecting purposes. Everywhere I looked, roofs were covered in blue plastic, signs down, businesses rebuilding walls that had collapsed. It is just sad. Makes me wonder if the benefit of living along the Gulf Coast is worth all the sacrifice and hassle that one has to go through to live there.

While I was gone, Princess continued putting the house back together from Christmas. Even doing a reduced Christmas, we have quite a bit to put away. Now we are on the search for some pictures that go on the mantel. Pictures of Princess, her sister, and her parents when all of them were much younger. Missing, I can't remember where they are. Princess can't remember where they were put, and I'm dreading going back up into the attic to search through bins to find them. Princess keeps saying "they'll turn up", to which I mutter under my breath, "yeah, next Christmas cause I'm not searching through all those bins". We'll see when they turn up - my money's on Fall 2009!

The Kitchen Walls have been textured. The job was so great, that I didn't notice a couple of cracks along the ceiling! Now our plans to paint the ceiling tomorrow have been put on hold. The drywall guys will be back next Friday to fix those, and I'm going to throw a couple in the Master Bedroom their way too. So tomorrow, we're going to get a tinted primer and give a first coat in the Kitchen so the drywall mud has something to soak up before we paint the walls the selected color. Keeps the project moving along, although, not completed. Oh well, the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray. I'll have some pictures once we have the primer coat on.

Jim

2 comments:

Janadt.Huggins said...

I'm excited to see it all finished. I know it's going to look great.

Anonymous said...

I know you all will be glad to see this sorry saga come to an end..whatever will you do for stress?? LOL! Seriously, I know how long this has been going on and I commend you both for hanging in there. I can't wait to see the room painted...what color are you painting it?? Take care!